7.22.2006

what folks don't know
by t. zoey benally

over and over throughout this life
the people i love at one time or another
have tried to punish me for being me.

days and days will go by and they will
deny me the things i love the best
met with silence, arms remain closed.

and when they begin, they often
get stuck in a holding pattern, forget
their original goal, lose themselves in BIA-ness.

i am left watching them ensconsed in
self-righteousness, cloaked in judgement,
earth circles spent on nothing.

but what they don't realize is that
i am not afraid, not afraid of me
and no amount of torture
will make me betray me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"i am not afraid, not afraid of me
and no amount of torture
will make me betray me."

RIGHT ON

When all is said and done all that really matters is that we do our best to be true to our own guiding principles.

TMWNN

hadjare said...

w0rd.

velma said...

i am proud of you, zoey.

you will always be someone i look up to, specifically because you are someone that will not allow anyone to 'make you betray you.'

well said.